- ¾ kg (6 medium) sliced onions
- ½ kg (4 medium) potato, ,peeled and cut in large chunks
- 8-12 small green chilli, or 2 tablespoon green chilies paste
- piece ginger , or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 6 garlic cloves , or 1 tablspoon garlic paste
- 4 black cloves, (laung)
- 10 black pepper corns, (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 tablespoon cumin, (sabut zeera)
- 2-3 green cardamom, (choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom, (bari elaichi)
- 1 big bay leaf, (teej patta)
- 2 inch stick cinnamon, (dal cheeni)
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder, (dhanya) powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, (haldi) powder
- 1 kg chicken pieces, 1 full chicken pieces
- ½ kg (5 medium) chopped tomato
- 3-4 dried plum, aloo bukhara
- ½ cup yogurt, dahi
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 3-4 medium green chilies
- a pinch of saffron, dissolved in 2 tbs water.
- 1½ cup oil
- salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE
- ¾ kg basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin, sabut zeera
- 6-8 black pepper, sabut kali mirch
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet take oil, fry onions till golden brown, dish out on kitchen towel and crush them with hands or mixer.
- In the same skillet using same oil of onions, fry potatoes till golden. Dish out and set aside.
- Make green paste of chili, garlic and ginger called green masala. Set aside.
STEP FOR CHICKEN GRAVY
- Take out extra oil from skillet leaving only 3 tbs. (this extra oil will be used later)
- In this oil on low flame, add dry whole spices (green cardamom, black cardamom, cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon, pepper and clove), fry lightly to release flavors.
- Now, add powdered spices (coriander and turmeric ), stir a little and add green masala and salt, fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and fry till the color of chicken changes, add chopped or pureed tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- After five minutes, add fried, crushed onions, cover and cook for 15 minutes till chicken is tender.
- Add yogurt and plum, let simmer to reduce water. The gravy will be thick but not fully dried.
- Add fried potatoes, chilies and coriander.
STEPS FOR RICE
- On step 9, while chicken is cooking, fill a large vessel in which we will make biryani ( 12 inch diameter measuring from inside) more than half with water, add whole spices and salt.(check notes for tip). Bring water to boil.
- Once the water is boiled add soaked rice and cook for 7-10 mins, we will not fully cook but use half cooked rice(1 kanni left ). Strain the water from rice when 70% cooked.
STEPS FOR ASSEMBLING
- Now in the rice pot add 2 tbsp of extra oil that we had saved and smear it on the base, add ¾ of rice in the pot. Add layer of chicken gravy, spreading chicken and potatoes evenly. Add a layer of remaining rice.
- On top add dissolved saffron and remaining extra oil of onion. (Cover tightly to keep steam entrapped, put it for dum for 15 minutes.
- Biryani is ready to serve.