NIHARI SPICE MIX INGREDIENT: (WE NEED ONLY HALF OF THIS SPICE MIX FOR THIS RECIPE.)
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ tablespoon coriander
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 black cardamom
- 5 green cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
CHICKEN NIHARI INGREDIENT
- 500 grams skinless chicken, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2½ tablespoon Nihari Masala, (recipe is given above, you can also use ready spice mix)
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon green chilli paste
- ½ cup plain yogurt, whipped
- ⅓ cup wheat flour
- Water , as needed
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon ghee or butter
- A pinch Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 inch ginger, cut in julienne
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 4 lemon wedges
Heat oil in a pot and add chopped onion. Stir and cover the lid. Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat until very soft.
- Now, add chicken, Nihari spice mix, ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and 1 cup water. Mix well and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- In another pan, roast wheat flour for 1-2 minutes on medium heat until fragrant. Transfer flour to a bowl. Add 1 cup water to wheat flour and mix well. Make smooth paste with batter like consistency.
- Add wheat paste and yogurt to the chicken pot and mix well.
- Add 1 cup water and lemon juice. (Add less or more water as needed, Nihari should have desired consistency at this point).
- Mix well and cover the pot. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes on very low heat until bubbling hot. Nihari is ready.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of butter or ghee on a pan and add a pinch of Kashmiri chilli powder.
- Simultaneously fill Nihari in serving bowl, garnish with ginger and coriander leaves. Pour heated butter the garnish and serve with lemon wedges.