INGREDIENTS FOR MARINATION
- 500 grams ground chicken , ground with white chicken fat. see notes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, squeeze and discard excess water. See notes
- 3 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger,
- 2 tablespoon garlic, ,chopped (lahsun)
- 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon cream
- 3 tablespoon seekh kabab masala, (Recipe given below.) You can ready made from here or here.
- ghee or oil , , for frying
- 2 inch piece of charcoal, to smoke
INGREDIENTS FOR SEEKH KABAB MASALA RECIPE
- 3 tablespoon gram flour or chickpea flour , (besan)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder, or paprika for color
- ¾ tablespoon red chilli powder, more to taste
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano seed, (ajma)
- 4 cloves laung
- 1 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- Roast all ingredients of seekh kabab masala in a pan for 1 minutes on medium heat with constant stirring. (Gram flour can burn quickly so be alert.) Remove into plate, cool it and grind it into a fine powder in a spice grinder. Seekh kabab spice mix is ready.
- Take your ground chicken in a bowl. Add ginger, onion, butter, cream, seekh kabab masala, garlic, green chilies and coriander.
- Mix well. Cook a small lump of the mixture in a frying pan to do a taste test. Adjust salt and seekh kabab masala to your taste. Then marinate chicken mixture for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
METHOD 1: SEEKH KABAB RECIPE (STOVETOP OR PAN-FRIED)
- Heat charcoal on flame for smoking. (If smoking)
- Grease your hand with oil. Roll a ball of kabab out of the marinated mixture and shape it on a pencil, chopstick, or skewer and make a long cylindrical kabab.
- Heat 1-2 tbs oil in a pan on medium heat. Fry seekh kabab on medium-high heat until golden from all sides.
- Fry all kabab in batches and store in aluminum foil and smoke with charcoal.
METHOD 2: IN AN OVEN
- Pre-heat oven at 300 F. Place roll kabab on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes until firm and golden. Flip the kabab halfway for even cooking. Smoke and serve hot.
TO SMOKE SEEKH KABAB (OPTIONAL STEP)
- Gather all kabab in a pan or pot. Place the red hot charcoal on a foil in between the kabab. Now drizzle a few drops of oil on coal and quickly cover the pot with a tight lid. The smoke must not escape the pot.
- Smoke for 5 minutes, then lift the lid and serve with raita or chutney.