› 2 medium-sized eggs
› 125 ml of
› 1 tsp salt
› 250 ml of milk (lowfat works fine)
› 250 g of golden
› 400 g of self-raising
flour (or 400 g plain
flour and 3 tsp
For fruit muffins
Use 3 dstsp of the following: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries,
cubed apple and cinnamon.
For Christmas muffins
Add a good handful of cranberries, a tsp of cinnamon and mixed spice, and
use brown sugar instead of white.
For lemon muffins
Add juice and rind of 1 lemon (use slightly less milk).
For jam and coconut muffins
Add 3 dstsp of desiccated coconut to the mixture, and place a tsp of
raspberry jam to the top of each muffin before you put them into the oven.
1. Heat oven to 180°C fan or Gas Mark 6.
2. Line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin cases.
3. Beat the eggs lightly with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute.
4. Add the oil and the milk and beat until mixed.
5. Add the sugar and mix until you have a smooth batter.
6. Sift in the flour and salt and mix until smooth. Don't over mix.
7. At this stage gently mix in whatever other ingredients you decide to
use (see above) – or you can just leave them plain.
8. Fill muffin cases two-thirds full and bake for 20–25 minutes, until
they have risen.
9. Cool on a wire tray.